Now that schools have returned to campus, some faculty are continuing to use online proctoring and exam supervision software for tests in the classroom and campus testing centers. We’ll show you how using the right proctoring service is almost like having an individual proctor for each student.
Online proctoring isn’t just for online learning environments
While many believe that online proctoring is only used in an online learning environment, that’s not the case. Some online proctoring and exam supervision services are flexible enough to be used for tests in the classroom and at campus testing centers.
10 ways you can use online proctoring for an in person test:
- Detecting cell phone use
- Proctoring written exams and STEM tests
- Combining AI test monitoring software and human proctors
- Monitoring behavior with video proctoring
- Providing accommodations for students and allowing assistive
- Allowing and blocking specific websites with browser lockdown software
- Verifying student ID
- Quickly receiving actionable exam results
- Proctoring third-party tests for different exam types
- Accessing technical support
How to use online proctoring for tests in the classroom
Online proctoring can be used in many ways for in-person exams, such as STEM (science, technology engineering, and mathematics), essays and written tests, and even assessments using gamification techniques.
1. Detect when students attempt to use their cell phone
In person exams typically don’t allow cell phones or other devices to be used. But that doesn’t preclude some students from attempting to use their phones under their desks to search for test content online. However, there is remote proctoring exam technology that can distinguish whether students are using their phones to visit approved sites or sites that are prohibited by the instructor.
2. Proctor essays, written tests, and STEM tests
To proctor an essay, written test, and STEM test in person, instructors can simply provide instructions for the test proctor to follow. These instructions can include allowing pen and paper for a written test or math exam – and you can require that students hold their paper up after each question or certain time intervals to show their work.
You can also instruct proctors to permit behaviors that can be typically flagged, such as a student looking down and away from their camera to complete the test question on the paper.
3. AI test monitoring software combined with human proctors is almost like having an individual proctor for each student in the classroom
There are four main types of online proctoring:
- Blended proctoring solutions that combine AI proctoring with live proctoring
- AI software (automated proctoring only)
- Live proctoring (one test proctor watching many students)
- Browser lockdown software (entry-level AI proctoring that blocks browser use)
If you use a proctoring service that blends AI software with live proctors, it’s essentially like having an individual proctor for each student in the class. The AI exam supervision software monitors student behavior during the exam session and if it detects any issues, it alerts the live test proctor who can assess the situation and intervene and help the student get back on track.
When you use AI-only proctoring software, instances of possible academic dishonesty are not reported until after the exam is complete and the burden of reviewing is placed solely on the instructor.
Live proctoring means that one proctor is monitoring multiple students at the same time and your students know they’re constantly watched during the entire exam which can cause stress and test anxiety.
Browser lockdown software is convenient because they’re easy to set up but they only protect against one aspect of academic dishonesty. Using a cell phone or another device is a simple way to cheat when only using a browser lock.
4. Monitor student behavior with video proctoring
In a large class or testing center, it’s difficult for one in-person proctor to keep track of every student.Video proctoring can help. AI combined with live remote proctors will deter academic dishonesty by using a webcam to monitor and record students during an exam and verify each student’s ID so you can be sure the student taking the exam is the student receiving credit.
5. Provide accommodations for students in class
Accessibility in the classroom means creating an inclusive and usable learning environment for every student regardless of their disability or condition. This applies to remote proctoring as well.
With remote proctoring, instructors can provide several accommodations for students with disabilities such as test time limit extensions, bathroom breaks, and allowing the use of assistive technology. This truly levels the playing field for all students taking the test.
6. Block or allow specific websites with a browser lockdown
Instructors can use the browser lockdown feature to allow access to certain websites during an in-person classroom test and prevent access to other sites. As we described earlier, browser lockdown software is a first line of defense to prevent cheating on tests but they’re a small piece of the puzzle to protect exams.
7. Authenticate ID in less than a minute
Some courses can have a large number of students in the room at the same time. If they are taking an exam on their laptops, online proctoring can quickly and easily authenticate each student’s identity, assuring institutions that unauthorized test-takers won’t get lost in the crowd. More importantly, you’ll also be ensuring that the student taking the exam is the same person earning the credit in the course.
8. Get quick exam results
Both students and faculty expect quick turnaround times for evaluations. When you use test proctoring software, results are available when the student completes the test. Instructors can access the reports in an easy-to-read format within the LMS.
9. Proctor third-party tests outside your LMS
With online proctoring and exam supervision technology, you can even proctor third-party tests using platforms such as MyMathLab, ALEKS, Pearson, and McGraw Hill. This way, you can still provide a variety of in person exams (such as math exams or written tests) and know that they’re being effectively proctored from start to finish.
10. Students can access support
Honorlock is easy to use but if students need support for any reason, they can access it within the testing platform by chat or email. This means the instructor won’t have to attend to students experiencing any technical difficulties because support from a human is readily available and they can troubleshoot any issues.
Instructors can customize online proctoring exam settings for tests in the classroom with just a few clicks:
After creating the exam in the LMS like you already do, you can simply choose which remote proctoring features to use during tests in class:
- They can provide instructions to allow specific resources such as calculators, pen and paper, and books that students may use for reference.
- Instructors can even specify the pen color students must use for easy viewing.
- During a written test or math test, students can be required to hold their scratch paper up after each question or at periodic intervals during the writing of their responses.
- Instructors may also choose to allow or block access to specific websites using the browser lockdown setting. This allows students to access permitted websites while blocking and flagging others that aren’t permitted.
Honorlock is a versatile online proctoring solution that can be used for face to face tests
Honorlock’s online proctoring software can help prevent cheating during in-person tests to protect the academic integrity of your classroom while still supporting your students.
How Honorlock online proctoring works
Honorlock online proctoring combines the benefits of AI exam supervision software with live human proctors for a better testing experience that can work in the classroom or an online learning environment.
In addition to all of the features described in this blog, our AI proctoring software monitors each student’s exam session for potential problems. If the AI detects potential dishonesty, it alerts a live, US-based proctor to join the session to address possible dishonesty.
When you compare online proctoring services, you’ll find that Honorlock has many features that set us apart which allow you to protect your exams whether students are taking tests in class on campus or in an online learning environment.
Want to see Honorlock in action? Schedule a demo.