What is a proctored exam?
A proctored exam uses AI software and/or live proctors to monitor a student during an online exam to:
- Prevent cheating and protect academic integrity
- Support students as needed throughout the exam
- Verify student identity
- Create a fair testing environment for all students
Tips for preparing for an exam that uses proctoring technology
- Make sure your webcam, microphone, and Internet connection meet the system requirements
- Review the online exam instructions ahead of time
- Take a practice test if available
- Set up your test room for success (clear your desk, turn the lights on, remove distractions)
- Have your ID ready for identity verification
- Write down important support information such as the phone number, email address, and any links
How do I set up an online proctored exam?
Setting up a proctored exam is pretty simple.
Generally speaking, you’ll need to install the proctoring software, app, or browser extension, scan your room, verify ID, and get started.
Here’s how it works with an Honorlock proctored exam:
- Install the Chrome browser extension
- Pre-test checklist: We’ll walk you through a quick 60-second pre-test checklist to make sure you’re ready to go
- Scan your test room using the webcam: This ensures that no one else is in the room with you and that you’re not using any external resources like a cell phone, textbooks, or notes
- Verify your identity: Using your webcam, take a picture of both yourself and your photo ID to verify that you are the student enrolled in the online course (this typically takes less than a minute)
- Begin the exam: show what you know!
How do I prepare my test room?
- Take your exam in a room that’s comfortable, quiet, and free of distractions
- The room should be well lit and clear of any clutter around you and on your desk
- No other people should be in the room with you (but if someone does come in accidentally, don’t worry! Our technology and proctors can help.)
What forms of ID are acceptable for ID verification?
You can typically use any government-issued ID (e.g., driver’s license or passport) or a student ID that has your photo.
How does Honorlock work?
Here’s a quick summary of what you should know:
- Honorlock combines AI technology with live human proctors
You aren’t constantly being watched. We use AI test tools to monitor your exam session and if something is wrong, it will trigger one of our live proctor to pop-in. The proctor will assess the situation and help you get back on track via chat as needed.
- Our test proctors don’t assume that you’re cheating; they’re a resource to help you
Our full-time test proctors are trained by a nationally certified counselor and educator on how to support students experiencing exam frustration and test anxiety.
- Support is available 24/7
Our US-based support team is there to troubleshoot issues with you and help make your testing experience as smooth as possible.
- We don’t sell your data and we don’t have access to your cell phone or other devices
When can I schedule a proctored exam?
With Honorlock, you don’t have to schedule your exam. Just log into your LMS and take your proctored exam anytime you’re ready, 24/7/365, as long as it’s within the exam time frame set by your instructor.
What do I need to take a proctored exam using Honorlock?
You need a computer, a functioning webcam and microphone, the software or browser extension, and appropriate Internet speed.
Minimum requirements for an online proctored exam with Honorlock
We provide a simple single-click test to check your system requirements.
- Operating System: Windows 10, MacOSX 10.13 and higher, ChromeOS
- Browser: Google Chrome (minimum version 84)
- Internet Speed: 1.5 Mbps download, 750 Kbps upload
Does Honorlock have access to my cell phone?
No. Honorlock’s proctoring software does not have access to your cell phone or other devices.
Does Honorlock sell my personal data?
Honorlock does not sell your personal data. Ever.
What information does Honorlock collect?
We gather as little as possible about the test taker such as:
- The IP address through the Chrome extension
- Name and email address using the school’s LMS
- A screen recording and a webcam recording
- A photo of the student and ID to verify identity
How is my personal data protected?
Your privacy is our priority. All data in transit and data at rest is encrypted and stored within Honorlock’s private cloud in an Amazon (AWS) data center. Learn more about our commitment to student privacy and data security here.
The goal of our proctoring service is to make online testing as comfortable as possible for you
Stay safe and best of luck this semester!
Resource links for students:Get 24/7/365 Support
Honorlock Knowledge Base
Student Privacy Statement
Sign up below to receive more resources for tips, best practices, white papers, and industry trends
Want to see Honorlock in action? Schedule a demo.